5 Reasons People Get Acne and What to Do About It | Health
According to National Library of Medicine, acne occurs when tiny holes on the surface of the skin---pores, become clogged. People of all races, ages, and skin types are at risk of developing acne due to their lifestyle choices, make-up products or hormones. Crystal Wellman, master aesthetician and owner of Crystal Clear Acne Clinic, lists five reasons people get acne and what to do about it.
“Men and women develop acne for all sorts of reasons, regardless of age,” affirms Crystal Wellman, a Master Aesthetician and owner of the Crystal Clear Acne Clinic. “What most people don’t realize is that there are a few changes you can make to your lifestyle to help prevent acne from forming.”
Here are five reasons that acne forms and what to do about it:
· Hormones. During your teenage years, your hormones increase, causing oil glands to plug more often and acne to develop. Many teens try to battle acne by using over-the-counter products or drying out the pimples. Instead: Many over the counter products actually contain ingredients that can cause even more acne and drying out your skin makes it harder for your skin to heal and acne to fade away. Teens aren’t the only one’s affected by hormonal fluctuations, women tend to suffer throughout their entire adult lives with the issue. Visit a specialist to determine the best course of treatment for your skin type. An acne specialist can recommend the best products for you.
· Make-up. A lot of make-up products contain ingredients that clog pores. Avoid ingredients like kelp and fatty acids when buying your products. Instead: Make sure you check the ingredients in your make-up before buying it. Noncomedogenic products are your best option and remember to wash off your make-up every night. Crystal Wellman offers a session to go through your entire make-up case and determine which products are doing more harm than good.
· Diet. Studies show that what you eat can impact your skin health. An overabundance of greasy foods, bread, refined grains and dairy products creates irritation and inflammation in your pores, which leads to even more acne. Instead: Stay hydrated, properly hydrated skin heals faster. Try adding foods like avocados, almonds and brown rice into your diet for a vitamin boost to keep your skin healthy.
· Heredity. If your parents had acne, you are at an increased risk to develop it as well. If you know a parent has suffered with acne use that information to be proactive and start taking care of your skin before it becomes a problem. Wash your face daily, but do not over-scrub. Scrubbing your skin does not stop your acne and could just make it worse.
· Stress. Most people have developed acne breakouts when they are stressed or nervous about something. While your first reaction may be to pop the pimple, don’t. Instead: Popping your pimples can lead to the spread of bacteria, causing even more pimples across your face. Instead, keep your skin hydrated to encourage fast healing and wash your face gently daily to clean out the bacteria.
“Each person has a different kind of acne, triggered by different causes,” affirms Wellman. “The best course of treatment to avoid acne breakouts is best determined by a professional. Your first step should be to visit an acne specialist who can map out the best course of treatment for your particular skin.”
Crystal Clear Acne Clinic is a new full-service skin care clinic located at located at 1210 Princess Anne St. Suite A in Fredericksburg, Va. The clinic offers skin care treatment for a wide variety of conditions, including acne, acne rosacea, and aging. The clinic is owned by serial entrepreneur Crystal Wellman, who is a Master Aesthetician and also owns Ladyburg, a handcrafted bath and body store. She is also a certified acne specialist, and is also certified in the areas of oncology, dermaplane, and microdermabrasion. For more information on the Crystal Clear Acne Clinic visit their website at www.crystalclearacneclinic.com.